Do you use bleach at home? If so, read on… but you might never use bleach ever again.
A French study that’s just been released has shown that regularly using disinfectants exposes you to a 22% to 32% higher risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
What is COPD?
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a generic term to describe a variety of progressive lung diseases. This includes asthma, chronic bronchitis, and emphysema, all of which are diseases with a main symptom of increased breathlessness and coughing. While commonly caused by smoking and pollution, this new research shows that use of chemicals such as bleach can be just as dangerous.
What were the outcomes of the study?
Earlier studies have shown links between asthma and use of cleaning products, so the researchers dug a little deeper. Over 27 years, the health of 55,000 female nurses in the United States was analysed. They found that nurses that used disinfectants once a week or more had a 22% higher chance of developing COPD.
This shows that use of these strong chemicals can damage your lungs. While stopping use of the chemicals will alleviate symptoms, there is no cure for COPD once you have it.
So what can you do to avoid COPD?
Stop using disinfectants and bleach in your home. Replace them with products that are non-toxic, aren’t harmful to your health, or the environment.
Natural cleaning products help to avoid illness
To maintain hygiene though, you still need to use some sort of cleaning solution. Products that are based around using extracts from natural antibiotics such as pine, citrus, and lemongrass are an excellent alternative. Using their natural abilities to kill bacteria, the essential oils from these plants also smell fantastic without added chemicals. Some acid-based cleaners that use vinegar as their base are also great, especially for getting rid of mould.